January 6, 2016
Nikon’s new SnapBridge connectivity makes it easier than ever to seamlessly transfer and share images
Powered by Bluetooth® Low Energy1, new Nikon SnapBridge enables seamless, always-on sharing
Mississauga, ON –
Today, Nikon Canada announced the launch of SnapBridge via Bluetooth Low Energy – a breakthrough innovation offering always-on wireless connectivity with mobile smart devices for transferring images.
Building on Nikon’s heritage of pushing the envelope for innovation in imaging technology, this move raises the bar yet again because the Bluetooth-powered connectivity of SnapBridge is seamless, energy efficient and provides photographers with a wealth of convenient, connected services.
This technology signals Nikon’s focus on building its innovations in software, establishing the camera as part of the ecosystem of personal devices. SnapBridge will be a standard feature in almost every Nikon camera from 2016 onwards, beginning with the new D500.
SnapBridge via Bluetooth Low Energy enables the continuous and immediate transfer of images from the camera to a compatible mobile device as they are captured in real-time, transforming photography into a social, connected experience. This is achieved automatically without the need to activate image transfer from the camera, while also keeping power consumption low for both devices. Users can also continue to enjoy mobile Internet connectivity during image transfer, allowing them to check their e-mail or access social media while syncing their photographs.
The pairing of Nikon cameras and compatible mobile devices begins with the SnapBridge application, available for iOS® and Android™ on Apple AppStore® and GooglePlay™.2
New SnapBridge application features include:
- Simple, intuitive setup to pair with mobile devices – SnapBridge-integrated Nikon models can be constantly connected to a compatible smart device3 once the mobile application is installed. For convenience, the connection only needs to be configured once, unlike previous Wi-Fi® transfer applications, which require new set-up each time the user’s device is connected. SSID and password set-up that is usually required when connecting for the first time is no longer necessary. Up to five smart devices can be paired with the camera.
- Seamless transfer of pictures, even while shooting – Photographers can toggle between the option to transfer images automatically during or after shooting in their camera menu. The camera intuitively switches from Bluetooth Low Energy to Bluetooth to transfer the data even when the camera is turned off. Images are transferred to smart devices as two-megapixel (Full HD) images in JPEG format. Original JPEG pictures can be also transferred.
- Embedding of image information – Information can be embedded into the image conveniently using the SnapBridge application. Users can select up to two types of information, from copyright and image information, to additional text and logos, to be placed in the image for personal image protection and identification.
- Remote control functions during shooting – The SnapBridge application’s remote shooting4 function allows users to confirm through-the-lens images on a smart device screen in real-time before releasing the shutter via the application. Additionally on COOLPIX cameras, zoom control and the camera’s self-timer can also be controlled via compatible smartphone, offering many possibilities and greater freedom during shooting.
- Automatic synchronization of location and time information – The SnapBridge application takes the location and time information of the user’s smart device and automatically synchronizes the camera’s to it, removing the need to manually change dates and location information of the camera when traveling abroad. Users can start shooting immediately upon arrival without having to worry about inaccurate location and time settings that will be reflected in their image data.
- Seamless sharing to social media and NIKON IMAGE SPACE – Seamless sharing to social media applications is supported by SnapBridge. With a registered Nikon ID, Nikon users receive unlimited online storage for two-megapixel images on NIKON IMAGE SPACE. Images transferred to smart devices in the two-megapixel format can be configured to upload automatically to their NIKON IMAGE SPACE account from the SnapBridge application.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™, is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Canada distributes consumer and professional digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. In 2013, Nikon Corporation celebrated the 80th anniversary of the launch of its NIKKOR brand of photographic lenses, and announced the production of more than 95 million NIKKOR lenses in 2015, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's exclusive EXPEED, EXPEED 2, EXPEED 3, EXPEED 4, EXPEED 4A, EXPEED 5 or EXPEED 5A advanced digital image processing system technologies. All Nikon Canada products are sold through a network of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers. For more information on Nikon Canada and its products and services or to find an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, visit www.nikon.ca.
Photos are available upon request and can be accessed in the Nikon Canada press room: http://en.nikon.ca/About-Nikon/Press-Room/index.page.
1 The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation and its Affiliates is under license.
2 Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.
3 Compatible iPhone® and /or iPad® or smart devices running on the AndroidTM version 4.4 or higher operating system.
4 Remote shooting is possible only with cameras that have Wi-Fi installed. Wi-Fi® and the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo are registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
Specifications, equipment and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
For more information:
Steve Gold / Cindy Watson