October 8, 2013
Concentrate on Clarity: Nikon D610 FX-format HD-SLR Places Emphasis on the Image-making Experience
D610 delivers FX-format quality and pro-level features for enthusiasts ready to take their passion to the next level
Mississauga, ON – Nikon Inc. today announced the D610, the latest FX-format HD-SLR to incorporate cutting-edge features and superior operability to help photographers create amazing images and Full HD (1080p) videos. Engineered for those enthusiasts who focus on the colour, sharpness and clarity of their images, the D610 provides enhanced performance and image-quality, coupled with Nikon core technologies, all in a lightweight form factor. With image quality rivaled only by the 36.6 megapixel Nikon D800, the D610 is an attractive option for those eager to step up to FX-format.
“For many of us, photography is an inexplicable passion; a relentless pursuit of sharpness and fidelity in every image captured, as we endlessly seek a way to express ourselves,” said Gregory Flasch, National Advertising and Communications Manager at Nikon Canada. “The D610 is a tool to help us capture and share our creative vision with all the benefits of a full-frame sensor, including expanded depth-of-field control, wide dynamic range, high image quality, low noise, fine colour, and low-light capability.”
Superior Image Quality
Inside and out, the D610 is dynamically engineered to deliver the outstanding balance of image quality, performance and operability that only a full-frame camera can offer. The large 24.3MP FX-format (35.9 x 24mm) CMOS sensor is capable of creating low-noise images with amazing dynamic range, clarity and precise colour, even in challenging light. No matter the type of photography, from landscapes to wildlife, portraits to sports, the D610 excels, delivering stellar sharpness, superior handling and the ability to enjoy the full resolution benefits of a wide variety of NIKKOR glass. Image quality and performance are further bolstered with the aid of Nikon’s EXPEED 3 image processing engine, which helps to provide vivid colours and an exceptionally broad tonal range while quickly processing image data transfer from capture to card. Additionally, EXPEED 3 contributes to energy efficiency for all-day shooting.
Serious Performance for the Advanced Photographer
Whether capturing an awe-inspiring vista at the golden hour or portraits that absolutely have to flatter, the D610’s swift response and advanced features will appeal to a wide range of users. From Nikon core technologies to thoughtfully laid-out controls, the robust and innovative feature set of this HD-SLR will satisfy even the most demanding enthusiast.
- Low-light Performance: A wide ISO range helps the user master any lighting challenge. From a clean ISO 100 to a versatile 6,400 (25,600, Hi-2), the D610 gives minimal noise and maximum confidence.
- 39-point AF System and Scene Recognition System: Users can select single point, continuous, dynamic or 3D autofocus modes to adapt to any shooting situation from static subjects to dynamic athletics. The D610’s 39-point AF system quickly acquires focus throughout the frame, even on fast-moving subjects. For further accuracy, the system uses Nikon’s exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II 2016 pixel RGB Sensor in conjunction with the Scene Recognition System to analyze the scene and adjust exposure, white balance and focus. The resulting images display a more balanced exposure, precise sharpness and accurate colour. Furthermore, the D610 utilizes nine cross-type sensors, seven of which retain AF ability up to f/8, a true boon to wildlife and sports photographers who rely on teleconverters for maximum distance.
- New Improved Automatic White Balance (AWB): With an updated AWB algorithm, users can capture more vivid skies and a natural-appearing reproduction of artificial light than ever before. Additionally, more natural skin tones can be achieved, rendering faces with a three-dimensional appearance.
- New Increased Speed and Performance: A new shutter mechanism in the D610 affords a faster frame rate. Users can now capture the action at a continuous 6 frames-per-second (fps), which is ideal for photographing action sports or elusive wildlife.
- New Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode: Ideal for weddings and other sensitive events, the D610 features a new Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode. When selected via the main command dial, users can shoot discreetly at up to 3 fps.
- 100 Per Cent Frame Coverage and 3.2” High Resolution LCD: Shoot all day comfortably and compose easily through the wide and bright optical viewfinder, which offers 100 per cent frame coverage. Additionally, the high-resolution 921K dot, 3.2-inch LCD screen is viewable from a wide variety of angles, making it easy to compose, review and share.
- Unleash Creativity with Advanced Modes: With a wide variety of creative modes designed for enthusiasts, users can continue to express themselves in new, creative ways. A series of images with multiple exposures can be combined with built-in High Dynamic Range (HDR), while users can explore their inner artist with an automatic Time Lapse Mode, or the intervalometer found in all advanced Nikon digital SLRs. To adjust colour, saturation and other image parameters on the fly, Picture Controls can be applied to both stills and Full HD videos.
- Dual SD Memory Card Slots: The D610 accepts two SD memory cards, which users can set to copy and overflow, or mark as one dedicated for videos when shooting multimedia. Additionally, the D610 accepts blazing-fast and high capacity SDXC and UHS cards.
- Full High-definition Capabilities: Capture stunning Full HD (1080p) videos in a variety of frame rates, including a cinematic 24p and 30p. A useful feature inherited from professional Nikon cameras, the D610 can feed 100 percent full screen, uncompressed video via HDMI to an external device such as a monitor or digital recorder. Additionally, a stereo microphone and headphones can be connected through thoughtfully placed auxiliary input jacks for capturing and monitoring audio.
- Share a Stellar Shot Instantly: When using the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter1, unbelievable images can be shared directly to a compatible smart mobile device such as a phone or tablet. Users can then share these images with friends and family through their own social networks or photo-sharing applications.
- Robust Construction: The D610 is sealed and gasketed, with dust and moisture resistance of the same calibre as the Nikon D800. The top and rear covers of the camera are made of magnesium alloy for maximum durability, while the shutter unit is tested to 150,000 cycles.
NIKKOR, Speedlight and System Compatibility
The D610 is compatible with a wide variety of NIKKOR Lenses, allowing users to truly realize a lens’ potential with an FX-format camera. For 80 years, photographers have come to rely on Nikon’s heritage of optical excellence for lenses that deliver the pinnacle of optical quality. The D610 is also fully compatible with Nikon’s Creative Lighting (CLS) System, and can act as a commander to control up to two groups of Speedlights, in-camera.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D610 is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in late October 2013 as a body only, or as a kit with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm VR lens.
The Nikon D610 body only will be available at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $2,099.95.
The Nikon D610 with AFS NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR lens will be available at an MSRP of $2,599.95.
Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers a two-year warranty for the purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Additionally, Nikon Canada offers a five-year warranty for all NIKKOR lenses purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Consumer’s investment is protected by Nikon Canada’s warranties with in-Canada service.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™, is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Canada distributes consumer and professional digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. In 2013, Nikon Corporation celebrates the 80th anniversary of the launch of its NIKKOR brand of optics. In the same year, production of NIKKOR lenses surpassed 80 million, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's exclusive EXPEED, EXPEED 2 or EXPEED 3 advanced digital image processing system technologies. All Nikon Canada products are sold through a network of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers. For more information on Nikon Canada and its products and services or to find an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, visit www.nikon.ca.
Photos are available upon request and can be accessed in the Nikon Canada press room: http://en.nikon.ca/about-nikon/press-room/index.page.
Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories and release schedule may differ by country or area. Pricing is subject to change. Refer to www.nikon.ca for the latest pricing.
1Nikon’s free Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility Application must be installed on a smart device before it can be used with the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter connected to the D610. The application can be downloaded free of charge from Google Play™ or the Apple App Store. For use with Android or iOS mobile devices, please refer to mobile device compatibility and available features at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nikon.wu.wmau&hl=en (Android) or https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/wireless-mobile-adapter-utility/id554157010 (iOS).
Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google, Inc.
iPhone, iPad and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
For more information:
Dianna Lai / Kara Merpaw