January 7, 2013
Nikon D5200 Inspires Users to Creatively Capture Priceless Moments
In-camera special effects, Vari-angle LCD, enhanced graphical user interface and internal microphone make it simple to create and share amazing images and Full HD video
Las Vegas, CES Booth #8643 – Today, Nikon Canada Inc. announced the Canadian availability of the Nikon D5200, a camera that provides the imaginative features and HD-SLR versatility needed to fulfill any creative vision through stunning imagery and Full HD (1080p) video. Whether users are new to HD-SLR shooting or are simply ready to step up to a higher level of photography, the 24.1-megapixel D5200 will inspire them to capture with an easy-to-use interface, in-camera Special Effects and creative modes, and the ability to share wirelessly in an instant. The Nikon D5200 will be available with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens in January at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $929.95*.
Price and Availability
"The Nikon D5200 is intended for users who want to capture and share their lives, experiences and adventures in new and original ways,” said Gregory Flasch, National Advertising and Communications Manager at Nikon Canada. “The D5200 features Nikon’s latest innovative technologies along with an easy-to-use feature set that enables users to unleash their creativity, and truly test the boundaries of a photographer’s imagination."
Imaginative Features Inspire Creativity
The Nikon D5200 is designed to foster imaginative possibilities, allowing users to easily document their lives with a compact and lightweight HD-SLR camera body. Loaded with features for creating amazing images and Full HD video, the D5200 is a must-have camera for a well-planned excursion or spontaneous adventure. Photographers have the ability to tell stories with artistic flair, thanks to the assistance of features including:
- Vari-Angle LCD – The high-resolution, 921,000-dot 3-inch LCD screen swivels and rotates at a variety of angles, and is viewable at 170 degrees. This makes it easy to capture images and Full HD (1080p) video from creative angles such as above the crowd or down low from a toddler’s perspective. Users can even swivel the LCD screen for creative and fun self-portraits.
- In-Camera Special Effects for video and still images – By selecting the Effects option on the Mode Dial, users can apply a wide range of creative filters and effects for both photos and Full HD (1080p) video. Modes include Selective Colour to visually highlight up to three selected colours within a monochrome scene; Colour Sketch to create a vivid drawing from a scene; Miniature Effect to make a scene appear as a miniature model; and Night Vision to enable images and video in situations with very low-light by increasing the camera sensor’s sensitivity. Users can also enable modes to emphasize silhouettes or create colour effects with high-key and low-key images and video. These effects can be applied prior to shooting the photo or video, or can be applied post-capture for photos through the retouch menu
- Creativity has never been easier – The D5200 features an enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) that makes it easy to visualize camera settings for optimal results. Additionally, users can enable other visual effects including High Dynamic Range (HDR) and six settings of Nikon’s Picture Controls to creatively and automatically manipulate tone and colour for striking images and Full HD video.
Creativity Without Boundaries
The D5200 takes advantage of Nikon’s new 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor to deliver amazing image quality and beautiful HD video that bursts with vivid colour, broad dynamic range and gorgeous tones, even in challenging light. Users are now able to realize the full potential and the performance benefits of HD-SLR photography including rapid camera response, interchangeable lenses and stunning image quality. Whether shooting family outings or action sports, the camera is packed with features that let users create amazing content:
- Wide ISO range (from 100-6400) – For shooting in even the most challenging lighting conditions, the D5200 covers a wide ISO range, and is expandable to as high as ISO 25,600. Shooting at high ISO sensitivity enables users to capture at faster shutter speeds and reduce the effects of image blur caused by camera shake even in low-light situations or when shooting a moving subject, delivering clean and sharp images with minimal noise.
- EXPEED 3 Image Processing – Nikon’s newest processing engine, dubbed EXPEED 3, drives the rapid response and swift performance of the camera, while maximizing energy efficiency, reducing image noise and delivering true-to-life colours.
- Scene Recognition System – Information from the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor is used to instantly analyze and recognize the scene prior to capture, resulting in adjustments to exposure, AF and white balance for the best possible image quality. The result is brilliant landscapes, flattering portraits and fast-moving action captured with split-second precision.
- 39-point AF system with wide area coverage – The D5200 features Nikon’s quick and accurate 39-point AF system to help users create tack-sharp images for a wide variety of subjects. The Multi-CAM 4800 DX AF sensor works in tandem with the Scene Recognition System to accurately acquire and track subjects throughout the frame. Users can lock-on to fast-moving subjects throughout the frame using 3D tracking to create sharp images of fast action, or use one of the other modes including single point AF, Dynamic AF and Auto-Area AF. When in Live View or recording video, contrast detect AF quickly acquires, and can even track focus through the frame.
- Speed and performance – Whether upgrading from a compact point-and-shoot or exploring the benefits of HD-SLR photography, users will appreciate the D5200’s speed to capture fast action and fleeting moments at the press of a button. The D5200 can shoot full-resolution images at up to five frames per second to help freeze fast-moving subjects, and quickly acquires focus thanks to the intelligent AF system. It delivers great performance with fast start-up time and nearly imperceptible shutter lag.
The Easy Way to Share Great Pictures
While the Nikon D5200 is capable of capturing remarkable images and Full HD video, it also enables the user to simply and quickly share stunning imagery with friends and family. By utilizing the optional WU-1a wireless mobile adapter1, the connected user can easily share photos taken on the D5200 to a supported smartphone or tablet, and even remotely control the camera from up to 15 metres (approximately 49 feet). The Nikon Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility application is available on Google Play™ for Android™ devices or from iTunes® for iOS devices.
Realize a Vision in Full HD (1080p) Video
For those who want to expand their creative vision with video, the D5200 D-Movie HD video mode is capable of capturing in Full HD (1080p), with the option to apply Nikon’s Creative Effects. This feature lets users take advantage of modes like Selective Colour or Colour Sketch to create truly customized movies. By simply pressing the dedicated video record button, movies are recorded at 1080/30p, or at 60i for optimal playback on many HDTVs when connected via HDMI output. Users have the ability to record stereo sound through the internal microphone, or attach an optional external microphone such as Nikon’s ME-12, through the dedicated microphone terminal.
The Vari-angle LCD provides the opportunity to gain a unique perspective for video, while full-time autofocus helps users maintain sharp focus that is critical for HD video. While recording, the contrast detect AF system has the ability to use normal or wide area AF, track a subject through the frame, or use Face-priority AF to make sure faces are always in focus.
NIKKOR, Speedlight and System Compatibility
The creative potential for the D5200 is unlimited when combined with the versatility of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR optics and powerful system accessories. Compatible with Nikon’s dedicated DX-format lenses and more than 50 FX-format lenses as well as Nikon’s Speedlight System, the D5200 puts unlimited creativity at the user’s fingertips.
New optional WR-R10 and WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controllers3
The D5200 is also compatible with two new wireless radio frequency remote accessories, the WR-R10 and WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controllers. When using these devices, the camera can be triggered remotely, making it ideal for group shots, remote applications, or to reduce shake when the camera is mounted on a tripod. This new wireless remote system operates from a radio signal rather than infrared light, dramatically increasing functionality and range. Now the camera can be triggered from up to 20 metres (66 feet) away, and a direct line of sight is not necessary. The remotes also enable the Bulb mode for long shutter applications, as well as functions of the camera that are affected by a half-press of the shutter, including the engagement of the AF system or starting and stopping video capture. The WR-R10 transceiver can be connected to the accessory terminal of many Nikon digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras including the new D5200, D3200 and D600. For those cameras that feature a 10-pin terminal, the optional WR-A104 adapter can be fastened to allow use of the wireless remote controllers.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D5200 kit with the versatile AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in late January 2013 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $929.95. It is available in bronze, red and black.
The optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter is available at an MSRP of $69.95.
The WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controller is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in January 2013 at an MSRP of $79.95.
The WR-R10 Wireless Remote Transceiver is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in January 2013 at an MSRP of $109.95.
The WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in January 2013 at an MSRP of $59.95.
The WR-R10/WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controller Set is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in January 2013 at an MSRP of $239.95
Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers a two-year warranty for the D5200 purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Additionally, Nikon Canada offers a five-year warranty for all NIKKOR lenses purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Consumer’s investment is protected by Nikon Canada’s warranties with in-Canada service.
About the NIKKOR Brand
With a comprehensive assortment of FX and DX-format lenses and focal lengths, from the ultra-wide 10-24mm to the super telephoto 600mm VR, Nikon photographers have come to rely upon the NIKKOR core technologies that contribute to their optical superiority. NIKKOR is the brand name for Nikon’s photographic lenses, which are precision-crafted to the most exacting standards in Nikon’s own glassworks. In 1933, Nikon marketed its first camera lens under the NIKKOR brand name, the “Aero-NIKKOR” for aerial photography applications. Since then, NIKKOR has been used as a brand name for Nikon’s lenses that symbolizes durability, high image quality and optical excellence.
Nikon, At the Heart of the ImageTM, is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Canada distributes consumer and professional digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. In 2012, production of NIKKOR lenses surpassed 75 million, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's exclusive EXPEED, EXPEED 2 or EXPEED 3 advanced digital image processing system technologies. All Nikon Canada products are sold through a network of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers. For more information on Nikon Canada and its products and services or to find an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, visit www.nikon.ca.
Photos are available upon request.
Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
1 The WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter is sold separately. The Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility Application must be installed on the smart device before it can be used with the WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter connected to the Nikon D5200. The application can be downloaded free of charge on Google PlayTM for use with an Android smartphone (2.3 series or later) and tablet (3.0 series or later). For the iOS mobile platform, the application can be downloaded free of charge from the iTunes® online store for use with iOS versions up to 6.0.1.
2 The Nikon ME-1 Stereo Microphone is sold separately.
3 The WR-R10 and WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controllers are sold separately.
4 The WR-A10 adapter is sold separately.
Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories and release schedule may differ by country or area. Pricing is subject to change. Refer to www.nikon.ca for the latest pricing.
For more information:
Dianna Lai / Kara Merpaw