October 17, 2013
Capture, Create, Connect: Nikon D5300 HD-SLR Empowers Photographers to Do It All with Confidence; AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens Unleashes Low-light Shooting Potential for FX- and DX-format Shooters
Nikon D5300 provides photographers with an easy entry into HD-SLR performance with built-in Wi-Fi for instant sharing on social media or email; AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is fast, sharp and powerful, and helps capture perfect portraits and HD videos
Mississauga, ON – Nikon Canada Inc. today announced the latest addition to its legendary HD-SLR lineup, the Nikon D5300. Offering the benefits of SLR performance with the versatility of wireless connectivity, the D5300 allows users to easily capture and share amazing images and videos. Compact and lightweight, the D5300 packs an enhanced 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor, EXPEED 4 image processing engine and the convenience of built-in Wi-Fi1. Users now have the power to take both frame-worthy and share-worthy photos and Full HD (1080p) videos with one device, no matter where they are.
Nikon today also announced the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G, a professional-grade prime lens offering a versatile 58mm perspective and excellent low-light shooting capabilities for FX- and DX-format shooters. Designed to excel at night and in extreme low-light situations, it sports a diverse feature set and optical design that make it a dependable and useful option for daytime portraits, nighttime cityscapes and sharp HD videos with a dramatic depth of field. Paying homage to the acclaimed original Noct NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 lens, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G is capable of capturing stunning photos and videos while achieving beautiful bokeh effects.
“With the Nikon D5300, we are continuing our commitment to delivering unparalleled performance and image quality while addressing the importance of staying connected and sharing images with ease. By focusing on the need to share high-quality photos, the D5300 allows photographers to capture their memories in astounding clarity and share them with family and friends just moments after they happen,” said Gregory Flasch, National Advertising and Communications Manager at Nikon Canada. “And with the development of every NIKKOR lens, Nikon aims to provide photographers with the powerful and versatile lensing options needed to capture stunning images and HD videos in a variety of difficult shooting scenarios. Combining Nikon’s storied NIKKOR legacy with renowned optical technologies, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is the premier prime lens for FX- and DX-format shooters who expect the best in low-light performance.”
Advanced Performance When it Matters Most
The Nikon D5300 offers stunning image quality with sharp, crisp detail to preserve life’s precious moments. The enhanced 24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers stunning images and HD videos with heightened clarity and detail due to the removal of the Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF). From capturing planned family portraits to candid moments, the Nikon D5300 offers the performance, along with easy and intuitive features, to help users capture photos confidently.
- Amazing Low Light Performance – For clean, sharp details in even the most challenging lighting conditions – including night games and dimly lit restaurants – the Nikon D5300 covers a wide ISO range of 100-12,800 and is expandable to ISO 25,600.
- EXPEED 4 Image Processing – Nikon’s newest image processing engine drives the rapid response and swift performance of the Nikon D5300 while maximizing energy efficiency, reducing image noise and delivering true-to-life colours.
- Scene Recognition System – To further help users capture the image they intend, the Nikon D5300 features Nikon’s Scene Recognition System and 2,016-pixel RGB metering system to analyze and recognize the scene. Utilizing these systems results in automatic adjustments to exposure, autofocus (AF) and white balance to deliver the best photo possible, whether it’s a landscape or portrait.
- 39-point AF System – Nikon’s quick and precise 39-point AF system works with the Scene Recognition System to accurately acquire and track subjects throughout the frame, resulting in tack-sharp images. Active kids that are too busy to pose for a photo or pets chasing after a toy are easily captured in brilliant sharpness for memorable photos.
- 5 Frames per Second – While using the optical viewfinder or in Live View, take advantage of the D5300’s ability to shoot at 5 frames per second (fps) to capture great moments that would have otherwise been missed.
Share Like Never Before
The Nikon D5300 is Nikon’s first HD-SLR to feature built-in Wi-Fi, allowing users to share high-quality photos instantly. The D5300 sends images to user’s smart device, allowing them to share their HD-SLR quality photos through email and social media immediately. From a winning touchdown to a surprise proposal, friends and family can now see these important moments clearly captured right after they happen. The D5300 also includes built-in GPS, another first for Nikon HD-SLRs. Now users can tag images and allow others to see where life has taken them.
Features for Creativity and Versatility
Compact and lightweight (480g), the Nikon D5300 can easily be packed for a day trip or a planned getaway. The small body of the D5300 provides photographers with the freedom to travel while still being easy to handle and comfortable to use. In addition to being able to capture amazing images anywhere, the D5300 is packed with additional features to promote creativity and versatility, including the following:
- 3.2-inch Vari-angle LCD monitor – Whether shooting above a crowd or getting low to capture the details of a flower, users can explore new shots from a dramatic point of view with the large 3.2-inch Vari-angle LCD monitor. This super sharp (1,037K-dot) screen allows photographers to easily make camera adjustments and read menus, while also allowing them to clearly compose the photo they want when shooting from high or low angles. The rotating LCD makes it easy to capture “selfies” at an arm’s length away or frame creative perspectives when capturing still photos and HD videos.
- Full HD (1080p) Video Capture – Create movies fit for the big screen with Full HD (1080p) video capture at 60p with built-in stereo, wide ISO range for high-quality videos in any light and improved full-time AF to keep the subject in focus.
- NIKKOR Compatibility – The D5300 is compatible with Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses and powerful system accessories, further adding versatility and creativity.
AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens
Optimized for elite performance in even the most challenging low-light scenarios, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens sports a unique 58mm (87mm DX-format equivalent) fixed focal length, making it ideal for shooting flattering portraits, landscapes and street photography. Both FX- and DX-format shooters will appreciate a wide and fast f/1.4 aperture that helps to ensure professional-grade photos and edge-to-edge sharpness, combined with overwhelming rendering performance. Even while focusing at infinity, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G’s high-resolving power has the ability to process distant subjects with amazing clarity. Whether shooting dynamic nighttime cityscapes or astrophotography, top-class low-light performance is ensured with minimal sagittal coma, while light falloff is controlled to retain brightness and reduce vignetting, even while wide open.
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is also powered by core NIKKOR technologies designed to provide users with the ultimate in clarity and control, and the capability to capture beautiful photos and HD videos even in extreme low-light. The lens sports a rounded nine-blade diaphragm, providing both FX- and DX-format shooters with a circular bokeh that allows for a dramatic sense of natural depth in landscapes and beautiful image blur. Additionally, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G features a Nano Crystal Coat to prevent ghost and flare, as well as a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) to help ensure quiet AF operation, even when shooting HD videos. For users who want the utmost control of every frame, two focus modes are available, including M/A (AF with manual override) and M (manual).
Price and Availability
The Nikon D5300 is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in October 2013 as a body only, or as a kit with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.
The Nikon D5300 body only is scheduled to be available at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $849.95. It will be available in black, red and grey.
The Nikon D5300 kit with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens is scheduled to be available at an MSRP of $1,199.95. It will be available in black.
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in October 2013 at an MSRP of $1,799.95.
Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers a two-year warranty for the D5300 purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Additionally, Nikon Canada offers a five-year warranty for all NIKKOR lenses purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Consumer’s investment is protected by Nikon Canada’s warranties with in-Canada service.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™, is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Canada distributes consumer and professional digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. In 2013, Nikon Corporation celebrates the 80th anniversary of the launch of its NIKKOR brand of photographic lenses. In the same year, production of NIKKOR lenses surpassed 80 million, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's exclusive EXPEED, EXPEED 2, EXPEED 3 or EXPEED 4 advanced digital image processing system technologies. All Nikon Canada products are sold through a network of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers. For more information on Nikon Canada and its products and services or to find an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, visit www.nikon.ca.
Photos are available upon request and can be accessed in the Nikon Canada press room: http://en.nikon.ca/about-nikon/press-room/index.page.
Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories and release schedule may differ by country or area. Pricing is subject to change. Refer to www.nikon.ca for the latest pricing.
1Specifications and Compatibility:
Smartphones, Tablets: Android™ version 2.3 or later (smartphone), Android version 3.0 or later (tablet). iPhone® and iPad®: iOS version 6.0 or later.
Wi-Fi®: 11b/g/n (maximum range approximately 10-15m/33-49 ft).
Nikon’s free Wireless Mobile Utility application must be installed on a compatible smart device before it can be used with a Nikon camera having built-in Wi-Fi. The application can be downloaded free of charge on Google Play™ on your Android device running Android 2.3 or later (smartphone) or Android 3.0 or later (tablet). For the iOS mobile platform, the application can be downloaded free of charge from the iTunes® online store for use with iOS version 6.0 or later.
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
For current compatibility please visit www.nikon.ca/wificompatibility.
iPhone, iPad and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.
Wi-Fi® and the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo are registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
For more information:
Dianna Lai / Kara Merpaw