Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photography needs.
While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality in its imaging products, it has come to our attention that an electronic component related to power control in some Nikon D5000 digital SLR cameras does not meet factory specifications and may, in certain circumstances, prevent the camera from turning on, thus preventing operation of the camera thereafter.
Indications of this issue include
- The camera cannot be operated when the power switch is on, even with a fully-charged battery.
- The camera cannot be operated when the power switch is on, with the AC Adapter EH-5a connected by way of the Power Connector EP-5.
Nikon has isolated issues related to resolving this issue effectively and will be prepared to correct the problem at Nikon repair facilities beginning on July 23, 2009. Service related to this issue, including the cost of shipping affected D5000 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, will be free of charge.
To have your D5000 camera serviced free of charge:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clearly indicate your name, return address, postal code, telephone number, valid e-mail address, and product serial number.
- Our Nikon Canada Customer Relations Team will respond the same day or next working day with a prepaid Purolator shipping label via e-mail.
- Simply download and print the prepaid Purolator shipping label and apply it to the package.
- Fill out the online repair form, print and include it inside the package.
- In shipping, please secure the D5000 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with several inches of quality packing material on all sides of the D5000 camera. Please send your D5000 camera and packing slip only. Do not include any lenses, batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Please do not ship in the original display box (It will not be returned).
- Drop off the package at a Purolator location near you (http://www.purolator.com/en/ship-track/find-location.page). You may also request Purolator to pick up your package by selecting the Schedule a Pickup option on Purolator.com or calling 1-888-SHIP-123.
Nikon will notify you by email when your D5000 has been received at Nikon's repair centre.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs.
If you have any questions, please contact Nikon Canada Customer Relations by phone at 1-877-534-9910, 8:45AM–4:45PM EST, Monday to Friday (closed certain holidays) or via e-mail: email@example.com.